Tuesday 18 March 2014

Our recent bedtime stories

Demon DentistDemon Dentist by David Walliams
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another brilliant book by David Walliams. Loved reading it to my daughter at bedtime.

Had us laughing at times and scared at others. Why does know one believe the children that the new dentist is a witch?

A bitter sweet comedy that runs you through a gamut of emotions. Some great characters and once again with Raj the newsagent.

The Lost Journals of Benjamin ToothThe Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth by Mackenzie Crook
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a book my daughter chose when trying to resolve the buy one get half price offer in Waterstones! It seemed an intriguing read based on the cover...

So I have been reading from the journal every night at bedtime. It starts off ordinarily enough if based in the 18th century so some of the language etc is obviously old fashioned. Benjamin seems like an ordinary boy of his time with a fascination for nature and a desire to become a famous naturalist.

Things however never do go to plan in a story and he meets the mysterious Farley Cupstart on Windvale Moor and his life completely changes... Benjamin grows to manhood without fulfilling all his dreams but maybe the mysterious creatures he saw on the moor can make his fortune?

My daughter and I agree that he starts off a likeable person but we grew to dislike him as the book went on. Maybe it's our modern revulsion at old fashioned ways of studying nature - ie kill it then study it!

Not sure I want to read more of the series but wonder if my daughter will?

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Revisiting this as a bed time story with my 7 year old. He loved the film so I thought it was time to read the books to him.

Perfect for fans of fantasy and an intriguing way to learn about Greek mythology. Fancy learning that your dad was really a Greek god?

Fighting monsters and solving a mystery against the clock to avert a major war in Olympus. It's a baptism of fire for Percy. Good job he has friends in the shape of Grover the satyr and Annabeth daughter of Athena.

A good mix of action and intrigue.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave a message