Tuesday 1 March 2016

Cancer Research Winter Manchester 10k #WinterRun

This Sunday I got to put all my running training to the test in an organised event the Winter Run in Manchester.  Very early in the morning I got on my race number and dragged my daughter down the motorway to Manchester:


When we got to the Eithad Stadium there was plenty going on to entertain the runners and their supporters:


My daughter took a chance to pose on the "winner's" podium (there was too much of a queue at the end for me to have a go!):



Amongst the attractions were some rather adorable St Bernard dogs:



Despite the crowds I somehow managed to find two of the other Run Mummy Run virtual running club before the start (I look like a giant!):


We all lined up at the start together before the warm up:


We were set off in waves so that the runners were spread out around the course which looped around the stadium. Plenty of motivational messages along the way:


It was a very friendly run and there were snow storms and penguin cheerleaders to keep us going. I was photographed a few times whilst out on the course:




I was so carried away by the atmosphere that my first 5k was in 31 minutes and 17 seconds which didn't leave me enough energy to repeat it for the second lap. I did however do my second fastest ever 10 k race in 1 hour 5 minutes and 21 seconds. This was my sprint finish when I realised it was going to be under 1 hour and 6:


The sun had come out for the last 20 minutes I was running but it hadn't completely cleared the old gas tower before we left the finish area:


I received my medal and a well earned polar bear hug:


All of us broke the times we had set ourselves so we look rightly pleased at the end:




Then we all walked back up past the stadium to find our cars and head home. I am hoping to have raised a decent sponsorship for taking part:


I would definitely recommend this event for the relatively flat course, friendly atmosphere and fabulous bling:


See you there next year (when my son will be doing the 5k!). Of course it was all about raising money for a good cause too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave a message